Spring – It’s finally here (Maybe?)
It is also the season to prepare your home for the summer months. Most folks schedule a thorough spring cleaning after a long winter. Too often in their planning, they overlook one very important part of the home – the attic!
Nobody likes to go up to the attic but doing so at least once per year can uncover potential problems, that if caught early, can save you lots of money and headaches.
Including an attic inspection with your annual spring cleaning is a good practice and worth the effort!
Spring Attic Inspections
Did you know that a properly configured attic can reduce heating and cooling costs, extend the life of your roof and the longevity of your heating and cooling systems? It’s true!
A Properly Configured Attic
A properly configured attic includes:
- Sufficient Air Circulation (Click to learn more about attic ventilation)
- Sufficient Insulation (Click to learn more about attic insulation)
- Sealed Air Gaps & Cracks
Signs of Trouble – What To Look For
Attic problems are usually cumulative, that is they get worse over time. Uncovering and addressing problems early on can save you money and headaches.
Here are some telltale signs of trouble in your attic:
1) Moisture stains on drywall, ceilings, and walls adjacent to your attic
2) The smell of mildew when you enter your attic
3) Black stains on wood surfaces in your attic
4) Rooms that heat slowly in winter and cool slowly in summer
5) Damp, compressed, or contaminated insulation
These problems indicate a potentially serious problem that should be addressed.
Don’t want to bother with an attic inspection? Call us to schedule a FREE attic inspection. We have been helping homeowners in Chicago and all suburbs achieve healthier more energy efficient homes for more than two decades! 630.830.3870