KEEPING ANIMALS OUT OF YOUR ATTIC
Soon wildlife critters in the area will begin sourcing shelter for the winter. Now is the time to make sure your home isn’t on their target list. Critters don’t wait until the first snowfall to find shelter; they are sizing up their options as early as August.
WILDLIFE CRITTERS CAN BE DANGEROUS & DESTRUCTIVE
Critters that infest your attic can be very destructive and wreak havoc on your home. Raccoons and squirrels, for example, have very sharp teeth and claws, strong enough to tear through wood and metal.
Once vermin access your attic, they gather materials (including clothing, paper goods, cardboard, or insulation) to build a nest for their offspring. They also source a latrine (yes, it is what you think it is – a place away from the nest to do their business). Vermin feces and urine can carry diseases and bacteria harmful to humans.
VERMIN CARRY INSECTS AND DISEASE
Vermin also carry insects, including lice, fleas, and mites that can transfer down to living spaces and infest household pets. In addition, the CDC warns that some animals even carry the plague. Wild animals like raccoons, squirrels, rats, and mice are also more likely to have rabies. Click here to read more from the CDC.
PREVENT ATTIC INFESTATIONS
Here are some simple things you can do to protect your home from attic infestations:
- Make sure your attic vents, including any attic fan vents, are protected with bird and vermin proof screening
- Put gutter guards on the end of your gutters to block vermin access via your gutters
- Minimize access to cutting away trees and bushes that are close to the building
- Remove any items that allow vermin easy access to the exterior of your home
- Keep trash cans away from the building
- Do not leave pet food outdoors
- If you want to feed birds, be sure feeders have been installed at least 30ft from the home
- Repair any damaged or loose soffit siding or soffit vents
- Inspect your roof for damage regularly throughout the year
- Inspect your attic for signs of animal activity each season
NEED HELP WITH ANIMALS IN YOUR ATTIC?
Not sure what is happening in your attic? Call Attic Air for a free attic assessment today! 630.830.3870